Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Just Surfing

I found this website today http://woofnanny.blogspot.com/2007/09/fortune-telling-cake-set-1957.html while searching on fortune telling cakes in England. I had read about them the other night & I was intrigued. Since my daughter has a liking to the Chinese fortune telling sticks, I thought this might be the perfect type of birthday cake for her. Of course, her birthday isn't until August. I just hope I remember it at that time.
These are charms that were baked into a cake, then the recipient would discover his or her prediction of luck for the coming year.

This idea of finding fortune in a slice of cake is still a feature in many traditions around the world.
During Mardi Gras, for example, The King's Cake includes a bean (representing the baby Jesus). Whoever is fortunate enough to receive the slice with the bean (or coin, or plastic Jesus, etc) is said to have good luck for the rest of the year.

The Victorians added ribbons to the ends of the charms.
The ribbons extended outside the cake slices, and the charms were pulled out (they are called cake pulls).
You can buy modern examples of these charms, usually for wedding cakes.
Fortune telling cake set, 1957

No comments:

Post a Comment