Wednesday, December 28, 2011

On the Hunt....

OK...I have been searching high & low for a game in my basement that I had the kids play last year or maybe it was even longer than that. All I could remember was I had taken a posterboard & drew a pie of some sort. And the game involved pennies. I read it on a forum from someone who enjoyed playing it at Christmas or New Years Eve or something. Well I finally found the posterboard while looking for something else in the basement. That's how things work, right? You never find it when you want it.

So now that I found my handmade design, I decided to google it further now that I had some more keywords to help me narrow things down. And I discovered so much more about this game we played. Interesting!!

What I found was at this site: http://community.wizards.com/wotc_mark/blog/2011/05/25/dice_games

Dragon's Hoard


Dragon's Hoard is a common dice game played in many taverns. Patrons often find the game's layout on the taverns tables. In lower class establishments the layout is often crudely carved into the tables' surface, whereas finer establishments have been known to use inlaid precious metals and intricately carved scrollwork.

The layout is usually nine circles with the numbers 3 through 11 inside them. This layout is used for both d6 and d4 gameplay (occasionally an establishment will have a layout specifically for d4 play, which is made up of 5 circles with the numbers 3 through 7 inside them).

In most establishments, the currency of the region is used to wager; however some establishments provide counters or chips. Players sometimes play to divvy up other valuable stakes, such as jewelry and magic items.

Players throw the dice in turn. After each throw, they place a chip on the corresponding number on the layout. For example, if a player throws a total of 4, he places a chip on the area of the layout marked 4. Once a number on the layout has three or more chips on it, the next player to roll that number collects them. If a player rolls a pair of 1's, known as Dragon Eyes, that player places a chip on all the numbers on the layout. If a player rolls two 6's, know as Stealing the Hoard, they collect all the chips on the layout. Play continues for a pre-determined time, or until it is agreed to end the game.

This dice game requires two dice (2d4 or 2d6), chips and a layout drawn up with the appropriate numbers on it. This game is based on a dice game known as Jackpot.

No comments:

Post a Comment